Dr. Gausan – 272 – Nepali IMG
USMLE STEP 1.. MY EXPERIENCE
- REPITITION IS KEY TO MEMORY
2. MINIMUM 4 ROUNDS – DURATION OF EACH ROUND DEPENDS UPON YOU
a. FIRST ROUND – KAPLAN TEXT + KAPLAN LECTURES + GOLJAN BOOK+/- AUDIO NOTES +/- PATHOMA VIDEOS IF YOU HAVE TIME(VERY GOOD ILLUSTRATIONS – GO THROUGH IF U DON’T UNDERSTAND GOLJAN)
b. SECOND ROUND – KAPLAN TEXT + UWORLD (2013/14)
c. THIRD ROUND – KAPLAN TEXT + FIRST AID + UWORLD REVISION
d. LAST ROUND – FIRST AID (MAKE SURE TO NOTE DOWN IMPORTANT POINTS FROM KAPLAN AND UWORLD IN FIRST AID SO THAT AT LAST U DON’T HAVE TO GO THROUGH KAPLAN AND UWORLD
3. MEDIA QUESTIONS :
a. PICTURES – GO THROUGH WEB PATH PICTURES ATLEST 50 PICS A DAY; START AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE; NBME PICTURES ARE HIGH YIELD – DITTO PICTURES FROM HERE. WHILE GOING THROUGH YOUR PREPARATION MAKE FOLDERS OF PICTURES SO THAT YOU CAN REVIEW AT LAST.
b. HEART SOUNDS – DOWNLOAD ANDROID APP HEART SOUNDS AND MURMURS. (EXACT SOUND IN USMLE EXAM). GO THROUGH ALL HEART SOUNDS ATLEAST ONCE A WEEK SO THAT U GET USED TO IT AT LAST.
c. VIDEOS MAY/MAYNOT COME ON EXAM. NO USE PREPARING FOR THIS. QUESTIONS THAT COME ON EXAM ARE EASILY RECOGNIZABLE FROM CLINICAL EXPERIENCE.
d. ECG – FIRST AID ECGS ARE NOT GOOD. IF U HAVE TIME GO THROUGH ECG MADE EASY AND JUST SKIM THROUGH THE ECG’S DON’T GO INTO MUCH DETAIL.
4. NBMEs – SAVE NBMEs FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS. PLAN ACCORDINGLY SO THAT YOU DO THE NBMEs ONCE A WEEK. MY ADVICE – DO ALL NBMEs BECAUSE QUESTIONS FROM EVEN NBME 1 HAS BEEN REPEATED. WE HAVE NBME 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,11,12,13 OFFLINE. DO 1-2,3-4,5-6,11-12 THAT IS 2 NBMES ON THE SAME DAY ONCE A WEEK. THIS IS TO BUILD YOUR STAMINA FOR 7 HOURS OF EXAM. IF YOU CAN GO THROUGH 8 HRS OF NBMEs ON ONE DAY THEN 7 HRS OF STEP 1 WILL BE LIKE A PIECE OF CAKE. THEN GO THROUGH THE ANSWERS IN THE REST OF THE WEEK IN THE EVENING – ONE AND HALF BLOCK A DAY. KEEP NBME 7,13,15 AND 16 FOR LAST WHICH U ARE GOING TO DO ONE NBME IN ONE DAY A WEEK. PLAN YOUR NBMEs SO THAT YOU WILL COMPLETE ALL YOUR NBMEs ATLEAST 1-2 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR DATE. DO NOT ONLY DO YOUR NBME ALL AT ONCE. MY STRATEGY : NBME ONE DAY A WEEK AND SELF STUDY FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK. GO THROUGH EACH QUESTIONS IN NBME AND LOOK FOR ANSWERS IN THE INTERNET. GOOGLE THE FIRST SENTENCE OF THE QUESTION TO LOOK FOR FORUM DISCUSSIONS FOR THAT QUESTIONS. YOU WILL FIND ANSWERS THERE.
5. MAKE SURE YOU ARE DONE WITH YOUR PREPARATION 2-3 DAYS BEFORE THE DAY OF EXAM.
6. 2nd LAST DAY BEFORE EXAM : DO FRED (FREE USMLE PRACTICE QUESTIONS – AVAILABLE AT USMLE.ORG. DOWNLOAD THE LATEST ONE). IT IS AN EXACT SIMULATION OF THE USMLE STEP 1 EXAM. GO THROUGH THE TUTORIAL PORTION THOROUGHLY SO THAT ON THE DAY OF THE EXAM YOU DON’T HAVE TO GO THROUGH THE TUTORIAL PORTION THAT SAVES 10 ADDITIONAL MINUTES IN YOUR EXAM.
7. LAST DAY : GO THROUGH PICTURE COLLECTION. DON’T GO THROUGH ANY TEXT. RELAX. DON’T PANIC!!! LISTEN TO SOME SOOTHING MUSIC OR MEDITATE.. KEEP YOUR MIND AT PEACE AND SLEEP EARLY. MAKE SURE YOU PREPARE WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO EAT ON THE DAY OF EXAM. MY ADVICE DON’T TAKE SEPARATE LUNCH. CHOCOLATES, ENERGY BARS, FRUIT JUICES WILL BE ENOUGH.
8. EXAM DAY : PLANNING IS THE KEY TO SUCCESS HERE. MAKE SURE YOU PLAN YOUR BLOCKS BEFORE GOING TO EXAM. TAKE BRAKES – THEY REALLY HELP TO REFRESH YOUR MIND. TAKING A 5-10 MINS BREAK AFTER EVERY BLOCK IS POSSIBLE. IF NOT DO FIRST 2 BLOCKS IN ONE GO AND THEN TAKE BREAK AFTER EVERY BLOCK. YOU WILL HAVE ENOUGH TIME FOR BRAKE. BUT ALWAYS WATCH YOUR TIME.
IN EACH BLOCK : TO BE COMFORTABLE WITH THE TIME, TARGET 1 QUESTION PER MINUTE. THE CLOCK ON THE COMPUTER SCREEN GOES BACKWARDS.. SO YOU MUST BE DONE WITH 30 QUESTIONS WHEN THE TIMER SHOWS 30 MINS REMAINING. IF NOT ATLEAST 50% OF THE QUESTIONS THAT IS 23 QUESTIONS IN 30 MINUTES. MARK THE QUESTIONS SO YOU CAN REVIEW AT LAST. MAKE USE OF YOUR MARKER AND STRIKE OUT OPTIONS IN DOUBTFUL QUESTIONS.
KEEP YOUR COOL THROUGHOUT THE EXAM!!!
the thing is not how much tym but how well u utilize ur time. This is a one shot exam.. so if u think u rnt ready it would b wise to postpone ur step. My advise.. see how long u take to finish ur first round. Then plan ur date. it took me approx 1 yr for prepn cuz I’m a slow reader. Depends upon u.. some people retain more if they go into the material in more depth.. some retain with repititions.. find ur strength and work on that.
the question is are you satisfied with pathoma lectures.. personally i haven’t gone through it.. but i’ve heard they are really good in establishing basic pathology concepts. but still i consider goljan A+ review book for 260+. goljan is really scary at first reading but trust me it’ll get a lot easier in subsequent reads.. warning!! don’t try to mugg up stuffs from goljan.. can cause serious burn out.. i suffered from 2 burnouts myself. keep calm!!
dont know abt brs.. kaplan text book is very good for anat.. rest is covered by FA.
I would suggest u shud go through msk in a bit more detail.. kaplan is not enough. Muscle actions and insertions are tested in more detail this time.
FA is like your final bag pack before u go treckking(hope u get the metaphore).. find ways to make it compact and still readable.. use stickons/add papers/write in a small handwriting… but man goljan is too huge. best way to revise goljan at last is go through the 100 pages and 32 pages. those are old notes but still pretty useful. use that as ur last goljan review by making notes there.
now molecular biology is a pretty big deal when questions come about knockout mice and transgenic mice.. my advice.. read molecular biology and genetics back to back.. this way u can correlate them well. and finally when questions come.. they are gonna experiment on rats, pigs and what not.. remember USMLE is a very ethical discipline.. they can’t be experimenting on humans can they? so think they are humans. hope this helps.
seriously speaking.. for step1, questions are a lot like nbme, not at all like uworld.. use uworld for its concepts not to predict ur score. i felt the overall pattern was like nbme 15 and 16
FA is ur last revision book.. but kaplan is a must. my advice start FA from ur 2nd read and read it with your kaplan.
i suggest u download this software – visible body from kickass torrent. it’s a 3D anatomy atlas that will work wonders. hope it helps
nbmes are predictive… +/- 10 frm my experience.. for me.. nbme 15 – 264, nbme 16 – 260 (both online)
i think uworld and kaptest is more than enuf.. in my opinion.. but the more questions u do the better.